• Research and development of software architecture and code to connect X-ray microscopes to the cloud and to optimize the use of information from X-ray microscopes to improve the user experience
• Provide technical leadership within the research team in this area
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
• Responsible for developing the architecture of the system offering from physical system to cloud and beyond
• Responsible for developing proof of concept code to demonstrate all aspects of the architecture
• Responsible for defining interfaces between NXT code and external applications (MES etc)
• Write clear and precise descriptions of research and test results
• Explain research and test results to a non-technical audience of stakeholders
• Actively consider the application of patents for developed techniques
• Provide code in a suitable format with documentation for integrating into the system software
• Represent Nikon Metrology in research collaborations with external parties
• Education to Master’s Degree or PhD in a relevant numerate, science or engineering area. Or, a good (1st or 2:1) computer science degree from a well recognized university or equivalent industrial experience
• Experience in at least one of the following
o Front end customer development (web/cloud based)
o Back end development (integration with systems)
o Database development/management
o Security for data in the cloud
• An education in Physics at least to A-Level or equivalent is required.
• Full professional proficiency in English, written and spoken.
• Having a driving license is preferred.
A) Functional competencies
• Strong background in software architecture and design
• Practical programming experience in C++ or in a similar object-oriented programming language, for example C#
• Knowledge of databases and their management
• Ability to design and automate test procedures
B) Core competencies (all employees)
Be pro-active (Broad minded and well informed in order to act quickly and resolutely)
• Guide the team in researching areas of interest
• Work independently or with others to research and develop new techniques and algorithms.
• Understand the application domain of Nikon Metrology’s products, as well as the internal structure of the relevant application software code base.
• Use the development tools efficiently
Seek new knowledge (Pioneer new potential through self-study and insatiable curiosity)
• Research information available in the public domain to identify new areas for research and to enhance existing research.
• Keep up with evolutions in digital offerings and identify areas where the company may benefit
• Autonomously find the needed information and learn new techniques
• Mentor junior colleagues
Communicate well (Harmonise diverse skills by thinking out of the box and communicating effectively with other colleagues)
• Share knowledge with colleagues and stakeholders through presentations as well as one-on-one discussions
• Interact appropriately with customers and stakeholders
• Report and document with the appropriate level of detail
Display integrity (Work with diligence and sincerity as a responsible individual)
• Treat information from and about customers with the required confidentiality
• Respect agreed specifications
• Respect agreed project plan, budget, and timing
• Loyally align with management decisions in front of others in the research team
Embrace diversity (Welcome and value different talents, perspectives and diverse cultures)
• Establish and maintain good working relationships with colleagues across sites
• Work together easily with Nikon Metrology colleagues in other teams
• Show respect for the opinion of others
C) Leadership competencies
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
• No special working requirements other than the use of PPE when working on the shop floor.
• Occasional travel abroad, including weekend days.
• Occasional communication with customers, including face-to-face and over the phone.
• Occasional attendance of conferences and technical meetings
Work Location: Tring, U.K.
Division/ Department: Research
Directly reports to: VP Engineering (Research)
Company: Nikon X-Tek Systems Cost centre: Engineering